Country: Germany > Mosel-Saar-Ruwer

Weingut Schloss Saarstein

View Winery Website

Winery Schloss Saarstein towers high above Serrig, a wine village on the upper Saar river. The owner is Christian Ebert, a passionate winemaker and hunter. The winery is a founding member of the Grosser Ring, which would later become the VDP (Association of German Prädikat Wine Estates) Mosel-Saar-Ruwer. From the winery’s own panoramic terrace, Christian Ebert enjoys views over his steep vineyards, which directly border the castle, giving it a true “château character”. In total, 11 hectares of vineyards, 95% of which are Riesling, are owned by Schloss Saarstein. The other 5% is divided between Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris and Auxerrois. For Christian Ebert, the age of the vines plays a decisive role in the quality of the wine, because he is convinced that old vines, with their naturally loose, highly aromatic grapes, produce the better wines. “Man shapes the mountain and the mountain shapes man – and I live in the middle of it!” is Christian Ebert’s philosophy. And with success, because for over 25 years the Schloss Saarstein winery has been ranked among the 100 best wineries in Germany, according to the business newspaper “Handelsblatt” and the wine magazine “Vinum”, alongside such famous names as Egon Müller or Joh. Jos. Prüm.

The Schloss Saarstein wines deserve the predicate: Classic Saar! They are bursting with elegance and captivate you with their fine fruit and distinct smoky slate minerality. At the same time, the piquant acidity in particular ensures that the wines have a tremendous drinkability. The spectrum ranges from great dry to refreshing off-dry to delicate noble sweet Rieslings, all of which have an immense aging potential due to their classic vinification method!

  • Appellation: Mosel (Saar)
  • Owner: Christian Ebert
  • Winemaker: Christian Ebert
  • Varieties Grown: Riesling
  • Hectares/Age of Vines: 11 ha / 20-80 y
  • Altitude/Soil: 220m/grey slate
  • Farming Methods: Conventional


Red Rose White Sparkling Sweet Fortified Spirits Cider